Do I have to be physically present at a Property Settlement Conference?


The case assessment conference, sometimes referred to as the procedural hearing, is the first major event you will attend in the Family Court if you’re seeking property orders.


As a rule, it’s facilitated by a registrar with both you and your former partner, and your lawyers if you wish, present and negotiating directly with each other. However, if you have any issues with family violence or negotiating directly with your spouse, it can be arranged for the registrar to deal with each of you separately.

Your aim is to try to reach an agreement without having to descend any further through the court process. Before attending a case assessment hearing, you should familiarise yourself fully with all of your documentation and the offers that have been exchanged between the two of you. Identify the areas where there is agreement. Also, identify the areas where you don’t agree and clearly write notes for yourself as to the barriers that are currently stopping you from agreeing to those points. 

It is advisable to have sought legal opinion before attending. Establish what your bottom line is before you enter the conference.  Identify where you’re prepared to concede and which issues are not negotiable for you.

In most cases, it’s necessary for you to attend the conference in person. In special circumstances, you may be able to apply to the Court for permission not to attend. The Court must receive your application at least seven days prior to the conference date.


Video or telephone attendance

The courts have a video system, linking with a network of courts, government agencies and private video link suppliers across Australia.  Overseas video links can also be arranged.  However, there may be some situations when a telephone link, which is easier to arrange and much cheaper, is adequate for the Court’s purposes. You can phone the court to ask which would be most appropriate in your case.

In relation to video links, in most cases, the person benefiting from the savings gained by using a video link will pay the costs incurred at both ends of the video link.  However, there may be circumstances where the Court orders the costs of the video link to be borne equally by the parties.  There are no costs payable to the Court for telephone links, except for overseas telephone links, which will incur the costs the Telstra charge for the call.

Your application will need to set out the reasons you can't attend and you will need to complete the booking form which accompanies the application form.


You will find this application forms to request attendance by electronic means at the following links:

Family Court of Australia - Request to attend by electronic communication

Federal Circuit Court - Telephone/Video link attendance request

Family Court of WA - Non-Prescribed Forms


Published by: Divorce Resource






I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

Add new comment

Return to top